Monday, May 23, 2011

Tell Me You Hated Fight Club.

I'll tell you what I'm looking for in a relationship, in one easy sentence. I'm looking for a man that didn't like Fight Club.

Really. That's it.

The rise of "man-children" is actually a horrific event for a single mama on the dating scene. Let me modify that. The rise of "man-children" is a horrific event. For everyone. Single, parent, employer, bartender, what-have-you. It's terrible for everyone. Some men claim this label proudly, others don't even bother to analyze their behavior enough to be able to claim it, but in either case, there's a stunning number of ridiculously immature, overgrown children out there.

I blame Fight Club. Palahniuk, this is ALL YOUR FAULT. And I'm totally glaring at you from my Rust Belt bastion with baleful eyes. Take note. Don't ever come to Milwaukee, or I will give you a piece of my mind.

Ok, so it's not really Palahniuk's fault, per se. He merely wrote about an already-existing cultural phenomenon. Alienation is a common theme in modern literature, and we all feel it. We all feel disconnected at some point, we all feel cheated by the world.

However, Fight Club glamorized both alienation and anger. Fight Club made it ok to be an immature, selfish, lazy "radical." Fight Club made it acceptable to blame the world at large for your unhappiness while doing nothing at all to alter the course of your life towards something better, because there is nothing better in the world of Tyler Durden. The only solution is to blow the whole thing up. Fight Club made it cool to spout off about everything and do absolutely nothing. Fight Club, and by extension Palahniuk, are the reason these man-children are so inexplicably proud of their debilitating inability to function in the world.


God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate
so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No
purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great
depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one
day we'll be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. And we're
slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.


This is the iconic quote of Fight Club. This encapsulates the sense of alienation that many, many people feel in our comfortable, Western, modern era, and gives it a distinctly masculine twist. I can appreciate all those things. Palahniuk is actually a decent writer, and I do dearly love real masculine voice in fiction, because it's becoming somewhat rare.

And if the whole thing had remained a book, read by some few and appreciated as literature, perhaps I wouldn't be crafting this rant of my own.

But then someone went and made a movie out of it. And now there are legions of men in this country that hate their jobs, hate their lives, think they're meant for something more, and fucking whine about it. Constantly.

These are the man-children. They never grew up. They still look to others to get orders. They hate this about themselves. But they don't take initiative and start sculpting their own lives.

They simply get angry.

These are the man-children. They blame the clever advertisers for fooling them all these years, telling them they need this-that-and-the-other thing to be happy and fulfilled. They blame someone else for their inability to process information rationally. And they do this while they proclaim their own superior intelligence.

And then they get angry because obviously they're smarter, but they're slaving away at jobs they hate while these lucky men get to buy all these things with the money they don't really earn because they're NOT AS SMART AS ME.

Uh, contradiction much? How about a little side of hypocrisy.

Here's the truth, you man-children, you Fight Club-aficionados: You're not smarter than the world. And if you're incapable of being happy in your life, it's no one's fault but your own.

Don't want to work a desk job? THEN QUIT. Do something else. Start a farm. Get a construction job. Go build bamboo huts in Thailand. I don't care. But don't blame the world because you don't know what else to do, because you can't actually conceive of a life that doesn't involve a steady job of some sort. It's not the world's fault that you are uncreative, and that you have no dreams. That's no one's fault but your own.

And if you have bucked the desk job, don't whine about being broke all the time. Don't whine about the things you don't have. You chose this life, and if it's really making you so miserable not to have a car or a new computer or an iPod, go get a job that will let you have those things.

Want to be a rock star? Then do it. But don't whine if you fall on your face. And especially don't come crying to me when you have never even bothered to try. I know too many people that have tried, and failed, to feel any sympathy for you.

And absolutely, positively, I am through dating you man-children. I'm done trying to give my heart to men that are angry all the time. I'm done trying to be sympathetic to men that will never, ever be happy because they are simply too stupid to figure out how. I'm done dealing with men that are so far removed from any sense of self-awareness that they don't even know what will make them happy. They rely on the fantasy of some writer that they've never actually read, just saw the movie.

From this moment on, I'm holding out for a man that hates Fight Club. I'm holding out for a man that's actually happy in the life he's chosen for himself. Maybe he's always made such great decisions, or maybe he's figured it out through trial and error, but either way, he likes his life. He's happy. I'm holding out for a man that doesn't blame everything else when something goes wrong. I'm holding out for a man self-aware enough to know what he wants, what's going to make him happy.

I'm holding out for a man that hates Fight Club.

15 comments:

  1. Lowering our standards, are we? Next thing you know, your standard will be to look for someone who says "gesundheit" (but you'd prefer someone who said "Bless you").

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Naomi: Thanks.

    @Ody: I'm raising my standards, actually. Raising them considerably. ("Bless you" is more polite. She's totally right about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. Sounds like you're setting yourself up for failure. You don't want a "man-child" but the guy you want is a man who doesn't worry about responsibility. You want a man that does whatever makes him happy above all else. Isn't that more child-like than one who does what is necessary to survive and be able to pay his electric bill?

    I think this dialog underlines the main statement of the book/movie better:

    Tyler Durden: Do you know what a duvet is?
    Narrator: It's a comforter...
    Tyler Durden: It's a blanket. Just a blanket. Now why do guys like you and me know what a duvet is? Is this essential to our survival, in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word? No. What are we then?
    Narrator: ...Consumers?
    Tyler Durden: Right. We are consumers. We're the bi-products of a lifestyle obsession.

    The quote you posted also hits on this. To me, main point of most of Palahniuk's work is that there is so much minutiae in life that it can drown out the true things that make life rewarding.

    The other thing I'd like to point out is that The Narrator learned to be happy and content (proven by his ability to sleep) by shedding the unnecessary crap from his life. He ended up wanting live free of consumerism and fight in Fight Club. He figured out how to get rid of his job that he hated to do this.

    Movie Tyler's idea to destroy everything was an attempt to save people from this because they are too weak to do it themselves. He was attempting to give everyone, even the people who complain but can't do it themselves (Man-Children) the freedom that he and The Narrator found. Of course in the end The Narrator realized that he had found happiness with Marla and his non-consumer life. So in a sense he did everything you want a real man to do. He found what made him happy and went for it.

    Your dream man is The Narrator...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selfishness and realizing how to make your life work are too completely different things. So, no, I don't want someone so obsessed with themselves that they do whatever they want at the expense of other people.

    However, realizing what makes you happy is a huge part of actually being happy, and it's something that most people don't seem to be able to accomplish themselves.

    Further, using "Fight Club" as the inspiration for this blog and even as a litmus test for dating is obviously an oversimplification. Some people will like the movie for reasons unrelated to the monologue I quoted; some will like it despite the hordes of narcisstic, shallow man-children that have made it their savior.

    I don't actually blame the movie or Palahniuk for anything, and I will continue to evaluate individual people on an individual basis. Litmus tests are a bad idea, not to mention bad juju/karma.

    This is a bit of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, narrow-minded oversimplifications are what many people base their whole lives on. Now you went and ruined a good debate by having a well-rounded rational brain in ur noggin.

    *Sigh*

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think to get rid of the man child, you have to get rid of the many, many, many women (myself included when i was in my mid 20s) who constantly think being needed is the same as being loved. Man children need to be cared for, and encouraged, and stroked and patted on the back for things that don't really warrant such coddling. (And to be clear, there are many times in love that do warrant such attention, but we're talking about the man children who need to be praised for shaving for their job interview or whatever) And there she is, woman after woman, lining right up to do all those encouraging nurturing things for him because she's positive that being the person who does that for him means she is the person he loves. And oh the disappointment when she realizes he doesn't love her because of those things, and off he lopes to another girl and off she limps to another man child, sure that this time all the caring will work.

    It's a cycle of immaturity on both genders' parts, methinks.

    I'd also posit re:the movie, if tyler durden had been played by someone other than a totally ripped and carved out brad pitt, he'd be less of an ideal to all those fellows. just think if he'd been played by someone ugly and dumpy.

    Sigh. Our consumerist western society gets us all the time, in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my exes used to do that (the coddling) and it made me feel like an idiot, depending on what it was about (fixing the car-yeah I'll take that, shaving for work... kinda weird). But in a sense that goes hand in hand with mothering instincts and the basis for sayings like "Women want their men to change. Men want their women to stay the same."

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Abby: Oh, I'm definitely guilty of coddling. More so than a lot of my women friends, I'm a care-taker by nature. I like to take care of people. I like to cook and stroke brows and offer good advice and be valued for all those things.

    And I have a long history of falsely equating need and love.

    But, I'm at least *aware* of these issues, even if I haven't rid myself of bad habits or destructive thought patterns (yet). Everyone gets some leeway, I think, so long as they know what their problems are.

    And you're absolutely right: if Tyler Durden hadn't been played by a Brad Pitt whose abs and hipbones could cut glass, no one would hold him up as the model of masculinity and right-thinking today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE THIS!!! Thanks for putting into words what I think about the movie, angry men - who created this mess btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guy here who hated fight club... really HATED fight club. (I work through my hatred of it by imagining being allowed to recut the film. I recreate it as a 15 minute short where all these sad-sack, pissweak men go into a basement and fart together. Then they philosophize about how the experience has given them a glimpse of the divine. I call my movie Fart Club).

    My take: women in their late teens and early twenties have this weird thing going on where they look at a cynical self-centred asshole and think "wow - he's for me." They do this a few times in a row and then slowly wake up to the fact that when you date a cynical self-centred asshole what you actually get is a cynical self-centred asshole.

    By the time they dump the fourth one, anyone genuinely selfless and adult has moved on. Maybe zombie movies are actually a metaphor for women over 33 who suddenly realize that they are destined to walk the earth looking for all the guys that at 22 they thought were lame because they didn't treat you badly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't like it either. I would have found it "cool" and deep at 17. At 36, I do not. I'm a woman so I can't see it from the frustrated male perspective, but it comes off tasting bitter, sour, and spoiled to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who cares about your opinon? you entitled *****

    ReplyDelete