Wednesday, September 14, 2011

On Language

I'm sort of a language/grammar/word snob. Shocking, I know, but it's true.

So imagine the actual shock I felt when I found myself in the unusual position of being the more liberal, free-spirited party involved in an argument over the (d)evoloution of language.

I guess, looking at my writing style now, it's not such a surprise. Just look at that use of the backslash, and also "(d)evolution." That's some next generation shit right there.

I use proper grammar and punctuation for everything. I use periods and commas, colons and semicolons, apostrophes and quotation marks, and I am fond of parenthetical phrases. I use all these exotic punctuation marks correctly. (I think I do, anyway. I probably mess up now and again.) Also, I always spell words completely. This is such a compulsion that unless I am seriously pressed for space (meaning, using Twitter or sending a text message) I always spell out cardinal numbers less than 21. Because that, kids, is how you do it.

I know the difference between "your" and "you're" and also between "there," "their," and "they're." (And I am an unabashed user of the Oxford comma, as you can note. I nearly cried when that TOTALLY FAKE report that the Oxford style guide had dropped it was making the rounds a few months back.)

I also have a multi-million dollar vocabulary. Why say red when you can say scarlet or crimson, or even persimmon? Why say beautiful when you can toss pulchritudinous in the mix? I fancy myself a writer, and words are thus my bread AND my butter.

Idiomatic phrases are fun for me. For example, do you know where the phrase "mad as a hatter" comes from? Let me tell you. Back in the nineteenth century, mercury was commonly used in felting processes, which means that milliners (or hatters) were constantly being exposed to mercury. Most of them ended up with some degree of mild- or moderate mercury poisoning. Low-level mercury poisoning gives you the shakes; higher levels of toxicity can cause increased aggressiveness and wild mood swings. So, hatters (by consequence of their profession) shook a lot and were prone to outbursts, both of which will make you seem pretty crazy to the average guy who passes you on the street or has to sit next to you in the bar. Thus, most milliners were thought to be crazy. Thus, the idiom "mad as a hatter" was born.

I decry people that say things like "Wat r u doing 2day?" I weep for humanity and die a little bit inside when I see someone use the possessive second-person pronoun instead of the contracted subject and verb combination.

But I don't really have a problem with the way we've turned certain things into their own parts of speech, fluidly moving from noun to verb and back again. I do not take issue with the phrases "google it" or "email me." I don't see them as evidence of a widespread cultural ennui toward language, or a deep-seated laziness. They are simply evidence of the evolving nature of language.

Language is not a dead thing. If it was, we would never have moved from Old English to the current form we use today, and all of us would be able to read Beowulf without the assistance of a translator. There would be no dialects. British English and American English would be exactly the same. Someone from Scotland would sound the same as someone from Northern California. Someone from Alabama would sound the same as someone from Australia.

There would be no slang. "Cool" would still mean something that was warmer than cold but not as warm as warm. If the word cool had ever even developed in the first place, since actually we'd all still be speaking Old English and I don't actually know if the word "cool" exists in Old English because I don't speak it.

The constantly changing nature of language does not necessarily denote a devolution. Change is not always bad. Sometimes it is just change. Sometimes it is actually good. That is as true of language as it is of any other thing. Allowing the linguistic denotations of things as fluid and multifaceted as the internet and its brand-new ways of transferring information to also have some of that same fluidity by not tying them to a single part of speech is not laziness. It is a more perfect mirror of the concept that the grouping of letters represents.

Because that is the whole point of language, is it not? To facilitate communication by providing the tools to communicate both concrete and abstract concepts drawn from the world at large. As our world becomes greater and more complex, our language must keep pace or risk becoming dead. And so perhaps we must give up the sharp demarcation between noun and verb. That is a small price to pay for what we gain in the real world by doing so.

Just don't ask me to give up the complexity of "you're" and "your" in favor of the single "your." Because I will cut you.

4 comments:

  1. When I'm tutoring I love, love, love reading essays by ESL students (and actually listening to students who weren't raised in America who are in my nursing program). Because there is often a flavor of language they bring to English that is fascinating and beautiful - word constructions that a native speaker would never think of*, based on how their native language flows. If I tutored more or if I knew more about other languages I'd try to learn about which languages tend to do what, but, only so many hours in the day.

    And then since I'm tutoring them, and proofreading these papers for high school or AP studying or college, I take out my metaphorical red pen and slash these beautiful turns of phrase all to hell (and do my best to explain why I'm changing what I'm changing). Because unless it's a creative writing paper (it never is), they are coming to us to get the paper to fit into the mold of "proper" English, and these things that are so amazing in conversational or expressive writing don't fly in formal writing. And that makes me really sad.


    And I post it here because maybe years ago, when I was younger and more ignorant, I would have just thought the people I was tutoring weren't writing proper English. Now I'm firmly in the cultural descriptivist camp, and if something conveys meaning, then it's language. (I have no problems finding something aesthetically displeasing! Because yeah, text-speak. But that's different than saying it's wrong, if you know what I mean.) And I think that's similar to your point here. Language has to evolve, and to say that language is doing it Wrong, based on rules that don't have a function, is kind of missing the point. (Writing is a bit trickier, because I agree on the your/you're thing, as well as the flavors of "it", but there when people confuse them, it decreases understanding, instead of providing us new ways to understand.)

    *I end sentences with "of" all the time! I hope that doesn't bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful distinction you make, between "wrong" and "aesthetically displeasing." Thank you!

    Also, it's one of the more pervasive grammar myths that ending a sentence with a preposition is somehow incorrect. It's not. Ending a sentence with a preposition when the preposition is extraneous ("Where are you at?" instead of "Where are you?") is grammatically incorrect, but if taking off the preposition changes the meaning, it ought to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I may use it with my critical thinking students when I talk to them about word precision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm late to replying! I went out of town. And, nursing school. Anyway, I'm glad you like the distinction! :)

    I was pretty sure the preposition thing was a myth, but I still know people it bothers. So, you know. Best be on the safe side? But I prefer to not tortously rearrange sentences so as to not do so.

    ReplyDelete