Sunday, March 1, 2009




So, I bought myself a Blackberry yesterday. This is terribly self-indulgent of me, and I feel sort of ashamed of myself and sort of disappointed in myself, but gosh-darn, I *wanted* one.

Like, reallyreally wanted one.

I can rationalize why I need one, but it's all just rationalization. I do have two jobs, although one of them doesn't pay me except in theater tickets and happiness, and I do have a baby that has a schedule and I do have a Manfriend that I have to keep track of time spent with and I do have classes to take and I do have to keep track of the childcare-providers schedules and all of that.

But really, women have been managing these things for a long time without the aid of electronic devices that keep your calendar for you and nag you when something needs to be done.

Because that's really what I got it for. To sync with my google calendar, so that wherever I am and whatever I'm doing, if I'm supposed to be somewhere else and doing something else, the thing will beep at me until I acknowledge it.

Getting my email from anywhere is just a bonus. A nice one, but still. Icing on the cake.

Plus, I get to pull it out and flash it around and subconsciously tell people, "Look how important and indispensable I am. I have a BlackBerry."

I told you I was pretentious and self-indulgent.

I feel bad for this particular one because it's not just a one-time expense. It's an additional $30 per month in bills that I didn't have before. I've got this kid, and as great as it is to have a job that pays the bills, that doesn't mean I should be creating more bills for myself. It's not the responsible thing to do.

On the other hand, it is *only* $30, and I can't be responsible all the time or I'll lose my mind. I don't stay out all night anymore. I don't get ridiculously drunk anymore. Hell, I don't even talk on the phone while I drive anymore. I get something, right? Something that proves to myself that I didn't lose my entire identity when I had a baby.

Because my identity is all tied up with being able to do what I want, when I want. I'm a hedonistic hippie at my core, at the basest of base levels. My base instincts are selfish and pleasure-centered. 

So I got a Blackberry. In the grand scheme of things, there are way worse things I could do, right?

2 comments:

  1. A hippie with a Blackberry? :-) There is probably an app that makes it sound like a tambourine or a bongo drum.
    The time you save by being able to catch up on things while waiting in line instead of having to park yourself at a computer will more than pay for the device.
    Plus, they are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a hippie with a Blackberry. I use the term "hippie" very loosely and with a modern edge.

    They ARE pretty! I am kind of in love. I see now why they call them CrackBerries.

    ReplyDelete